Wednesday, November 23, 2022

Blocks Rock! - A review


I was contacted by Katie from Blocks Rock! about looking at this game and sharing what I think about it. I am not being paid to write this review. Blocks Rock! is a STEM toy and educational game. 

Blocks Rock! Is a game for children 4 years and up. It comes in a carrying case that includes 24 wooden blocks, 2 decks of cards, and a bell. Today (Wednesday, November 23, 2022), they are offering a $20 discount on this game.

When I opened the game, I was impressed with all of the different shapes and colors the wooden blocks come in which I think would appeal to kids of all ages. There were two packs of cards - one for beginners and one for intermediates along with a separate package for preschoolers. I also like to have students handle concrete material when learning a lesson because I think it helps them retain learning this way.

The preschoolers can look at the cards and place the blocks on the cards to match the design. This would be a great way for children to learn colors, shapes, and matching.

The beginner cards have designs that are flat or need to be built up. I like this extra dimension added to it. Depending on the learner, the teacher could just start with the flat designs, then only the building designs, and then mix them up. In this game, the blocks are divided equally between two players. A card is turned over and each player uses their blocks to copy the design on the card. The first player to complete the design will ring the bell. If it isn’t correct, the players continue and ring the bell when they think they have it completed. The one who completes it correctly first gets to keep the card. The one with the most cards wins.

I think this would appeal to students of all ages just because it is fun! I believe any game that exercises your brain is good for you! Older students would be challenged by the time factor more than the colors and shapes. It would also be great to use with students with special needs who have learning difficulties. This would be a concrete learning tool for students to learn colors and shapes, match designs, and improve spatial skills.

I would highly recommend this game for children. It is durable and easy to store. It would be great in an elementary school classroom or even the school library. Parents who homeschool their children would also find this a great learning tool!

If you use this in your classroom, please let me know what you think!

Original photos by Pat Hensley

No comments: