Thursday, September 22, 2022

Proper Planning

In The last minute from Seth Godin's Blog, Seth Godin emphasizes,

“If you do anything at the last minute that takes more than a minute, you’re not organizing your project properly.”

Nothing drives me crazy than working with people who wait until the last minute to do something.

I’m a “get it done now” kind of person.

If I know something needs to be done by a deadline, I must get it done early. I want it done ahead of time in case something happens that keeps me from getting it done later.

What if I get sick or get in an accident? At least if I have it done, I don’t have to worry about it. If someone needs it by a certain date, I won’t be holding them up.

By having something done early, I can free my mind up to do other things I enjoy.

I might have learned this from my parents who had a rigorous work ethic. If something needed to be done, do it now and play later. They instilled this in me also and I can hear them in the back of my mind when I want to delay doing something.

Procrastinating always causes me stress so it is better to get something done than to put it off.

Ignoring it until later doesn’t accomplish anything.

By waiting until the last minute, I might not have all the information or materials I need and then I’m scrambling to get what is needed. This means my finished project might not be as good as it could be.

I want to instill this same work ethic in my student’s minds. I want them to learn that it is important to do what needs to be done rather than waiting until the last minute. Organizing their work makes this possible and will help them be successful in the things they do.

Photo by Aron Visuals on Unsplash

No comments: