Wednesday, September 7, 2022

For the Love of Reading

In A nickel Coke and a dollar's worth of reading from Blue Skunk Blog, Doug Johnson shares,

“Some of my love of reading has to be attributed to Superman and Batman and The Fantastic Four.”

I loved reading as soon as I learned to read. I remember my mother encouraging me to read aloud while she worked in the kitchen. My mother read all the time so she was a great role model for me. We had a full set of Nancy Drew mysteries and as soon as I could start reading them, I did. I remember reading The Bobbsey Twins and The Five Little Peppers and How They Grew. When my uncle would come to visit, he always brought me a huge stash of comic books such as Archie, Caspar, Superman, Supergirl, and others. Getting my own library card was magical and I couldn’t get enough books to read. It was wonderful to have the Bookmobile come every week just down the block from my house.

When I was in third grade, my teacher Mrs. Sims, encouraged me to read and praised me all year long for reading. She was my favorite teacher!

Reading has always been an escape for me more than a tool for learning. I love fiction and I love how I can feel totally immersed in the story if it is a well-written book. Reading can help me escape my problems and help relieve stress.

I want my students to feel the same way about reading! I want them to love it as much as I do. Whether it is for pleasure or for learning new information, reading can open new worlds for them. By sharing my love of reading and why I read, it can help them find their own way in the land of reading.

How do you encourage your students to read? Please share.

Photo by Aaron Burden on Unsplash

1 comment:

doug0077 said...

It's fun to read these memories of what made readers of us. Thanks for posting. Doug