Thursday, February 3, 2022

One Size Doesn’t Fit All

This year I’m trying to lose weight and it is one of my goals every year. I’m not on any fad diets but I’m trying to watch what I eat, eat less sugar and carbs and not eat food that is unhealthy. I think my husband and I do a pretty good job at it and I log in the food I eat into MyFitnessPal. We even try to walk an hour every day. But, I just can’t seem to shed the pounds. My husband seems to lose pounds easier than I do. He has increased his fruit intake and eats more salads.

So, I try to eat more fruits and salads too because it works for him. Instead of losing weight, I gain a little. When I look back at my food diary, I believe that even though I’m eating what he is eating, my body is processing it differently than his body is. No two bodies are alike and that is why following a diet that other people are on won’t work for everyone.

I believe this same theory applies to learning. Everyone learns differently and it is almost like a fingerprint. There are no two learners alike so what works on one student will probably not work in the same way for another student.

That is why it is so important to vary our teaching strategies and give students several options when learning a new skill. Allow students to explore the different ways of learning so they can find one that works for them. Explain that some of the options may not appeal to them or work for them and if that is the case, try a different one. It is okay if one way isn’t working and they move on to another way. Allow them to reflect on why something didn’t work for them and what way is working for them. It is this conscious reflection that will help them streamline their own personal learning process. Without this reflection, every situation might be a hit-or-miss result which would waste a lot of time.

It is important to remember that when we are teaching, one size does not fit all and it never will. So, we need to stop trying to teach as if it does.

How do you help students find their own learning process? Please share.

Photo by Siora Photography on Unsplash

No comments: