Wednesday, February 2, 2022

Moving Too Fast

In Personal velocity from Seth Godin's Blog, Seth Godin asks,

“Why do bikes stay stable when you ride them (and fall down when you stop)?”

I am always commenting to my students that they need to slow down. They need to check their work. Don’t be in such a hurry. I truly know how they feel because I’ve done it myself.

Yes, when I’m doing my lessons on Duoling (a phone app I’m using to learn Spanish), I find myself making careless mistakes. I don’t proofread my work before I submit my answer. I don’t recheck the question to make sure I’m answering it too quickly. I think I know the answer and I submit it quickly only to find out that I either misspelled a word or I left out a word. I knew the answer but I just didn’t take the time to do it correctly.

Is the reason we are too quick to answer is that if we go too slow we are afraid of making a mistake? Then we learn we made it anyway. I need to help my students see that learning is not like riding a bike. Doing it faster is not going to help anyone learn it faster. Practice takes time and careful deliberation. The more we practice, the faster we will go but not the other way around.

Faster does not mean better. Going slower and being more careful leads to more success than speed and carelessness.

How do you teach your students to slow down? Please share.

Photo by Igor Lypnytskyi on Unsplash

No comments: