Thursday, February 10, 2022

Meet Deadlines

In On schedule from Seth Godin's Blog, Seth Godin states,

"Don’t miss deadlines."

In my opinion, meeting deadlines is so important. When I meet a deadline, I’m saying that I respect the other person enough to do what is agreed upon by the time agreed upon. If I don’t think I can meet a deadline, I say so before agreeing to anything or taking on that project.

Currently, I’m teaching two courses that involve deadlines. If students register for a class, they understand and agree to meet the deadlines that are required by the instructor. If students don’t think they can complete the work, they shouldn’t take the course. I don’t accept any late work for this reason. If students can’t meet the deadlines set at the beginning of the course, it reflects on their commitment and professionalism.

I feel when you don’t meet a deadline you are showing a lack of respect to the other person. You are saying that your time is more important than the other person’s time and what they need are not as important as your needs.

When I was teaching in public schools I tried hard to always meet deadlines given or submit things before the deadline. I would not allow myself to turn in anything late. This is something that I could control. If there were extenuating circumstances that were not in my control, I would talk about extending the deadline if possible.

This is a simple concept to follow: Don’t miss deadlines!

How do you feel about deadlines? Please share.

Photo by Towfiqu barbhuiya on Unsplash

No comments: