Tuesday, August 17, 2021

Speed Bump vs. Obstacle

In Speed bumps from Seth Godin's Blog, Seth Godin states,

“Often, the only difference between a speed bump and an obstacle is our decision about which one it is.”

When I have a problem, I try to work on it until I can solve it. Sometimes I ask for help but then I’m able to solve it. This is a speed bump.

When I give up, it becomes an obstacle and keeps me from achieving what I want to do. Giving up never solves the problem.

I try to get my students to understand that their learning disability is just a speed bump and not an obstacle. They might have to go slower over the speed bump but they will eventually reach their goal. Many of my students see their learning disability as a brick wall that can’t be penetrated. I feel it is my job to help them see that this is just an illusion. I want my students to see that I am there to help them see clearly. The more we work together the brick wall suddenly gets shorter and shorter. before long that brick wall disappears and in its place, it's just a little speed bump.

Unfortunately, this process does not happen overnight. It takes time and patience which many of my students do not have. They feel they have lost so much time that their peers are speeding past them. Because of this, they continually feel like they are beating their heads against the brick wall and getting them nowhere. I have to convince them that being patient and taking the time the move forward with me is worth the effort.

How do you help your students see the difference between a speed bump and an obstacle? Please share.

Photo by Riley Pitzen on Unsplash

No comments: