Monday, July 13, 2020

Picture Us in the Light – Book Review

I recently read Picture Us in the Light by Kelly Loy Gilbert. I read a review copy compliments of Netgalley. I am not being paid to give this review.

 

The story is about a boy named Danny Cheng. He is finishing high school and pursuing his future in an art career. Yet, his parents have a secret and he is determined to find out what this secret is. When he finds out the secret, his whole life changes.

 

I highly recommend this book for high school students! I believe that boys and girls would enjoy reading this book. The story is relevant to today’s society. There are not many books about Asians in the young adult genre so I’m always glad when there is one that is so realistic. There are several references to Chinese culture and what it is like for many Chinese American children growing up with traditional Chinese parents. I was one of those children so this book really hit home for me. I knew what the characters were feeling and could relate to them. I wonder how many Chinese American students would benefit from reading this book too.

 

This book would open up many topics for discussion such as:

·      Friendships

·      Relationships

·      Suicide

·      Chinese culture

·      Future Decisions

·      Illegal immigration

·      Obeying the rules

·      Obeying the law

·      Driving Safety

·      Sibling rivalry

·      Adoption

·      Abduction

·      Art Careers

 

If you get a chance, please take the time to read this book. I hope you enjoy it as much as I did.

No comments: