Monday, June 8, 2020

Doing More


“Doing work we’re proud of is a fine alternative to being seen as less than human.”

When I was growing up, my parents tried to instill in me that doing a job right is a job worth doing.

Just doing the bare minimum isn’t enough if it doesn’t make it right or better. I want the finished job to be something that I can be proud of.

Over the years, I have always tried to go above and beyond what is asked of me. This gave me a reputation that I could be trusted for doing the job right.

I wouldn’t agree to do something if I knew I couldn’t do a good job doing it. That isn’t fair to the person asking. I knew my limitations and I knew that if I couldn’t do it and made a mess of the job, I would be disappointed in myself.

As a teacher, there were things that were expected of me every year. Each year, I tried to improve myself on these things. If there were deadlines for paperwork, I tried to have them ready before the deadline instead of waiting for the deadline. Sometimes I would have things prepared before they were even requested because I knew in advance that it was going to be needed.

If I saw other colleagues who needed help, I would try to offer to help if possible. By doing this, I knew that at some point in the future, these people might offer to help me if I needed it. Sometimes all others needed was a sounding board or an extra pair of hands. Instead of just doing what is expected of me, it never hurt to offer help to someone else.

If I saw something that needed to be done, I would pitch in to help. I didn’t wait for someone else to do it or ask me to do it. I didn’t do it to get recognition or praise. I just did it because it needed to be done and it was the right thing to do.

I can’t go through life just doing the bare minimum. That is a sad way to live and it doesn’t make me happier. Doing more makes me happier.

What things do you do more of? Please share.

Photo by Toa Heftiba on Unsplash



No comments: