Thursday, February 13, 2020

Valentine’s Day


Tomorrow is Valentine’s Day. Valentine’s Day is celebrated every year on February 14. It has become a very commercialized day, but I know the students get very excited about it.

I know that some of my students won’t get a valentine's card from anyone because many of their parents can’t afford them. Some think it is silly.

I can’t stand to see a student feel left out so every year I buy a pack of Valentine cards and give one to every one of my students. By doing this, I know that they got at least one card that day from someone. If I don’t have a lot of students, I may give them a pencil as a gift too.

As a teacher, I need to make sure that everyone is being sensitive to others because this day can be hurtful, even if others don’t mean it to be this way. I try not to dwell on giving valentines and try to make it a day of showing appreciation.

It is a good day to give each student large paper hearts and have them write thank-you notes to adults in the school such as administrators, guidance counselors, teachers, cafeteria workers, custodial staff, office staff, and the school nurse. Some students may have a special message for someone who has given them encouragement.

How will you handle Valentine’s Day in your classroom? Please share.

Photo by Laura Ockel on Unsplash


No comments: