Thursday, November 9, 2017

Scents that Trigger Emotions


“What scents trigger you? Comment on a positive and a negative, and please share your reasons.”

Cigarette and nicotine smells (they go hand in hand) remind me of my mother. I wish it was a positive smell but it reminds me that she was a very heavy smoker which caused her death. She died of emphysema at the age of 59. Being deathly afraid of doctors, she refused to take care of her health. It saddens me when I see young people smoking their life away.

Christmas trees and cinnamon (they go hand in hand also in my mind): I love Christmas and it is my favorite holiday. Smelling Christmas trees makes me feel happy and brings back good memories of my family when I was growing up. I loved the holiday decorations and the giving of gifts. I loved the Christmas caroling and the cold weather. I love hearing Christmas music too.

I have to remember that even though my students are young, there may be many scents that can affect them also. This would be a great discussing to have with students and help them be aware of scents and how it affects them. Some students might not even realize it is affecting them in any way. By having this discussion, it might help students be more sensitive to others also.

What scents trigger you? Please share.

No comments: