Wednesday, October 11, 2017

Running on Empty

I was listening to the Happier podcast by Gretchen Rubin that stated,

“Don't let ourselves get too hungry or under-slept, or run out of gas, cash, printer paper, toilet paper, batteries, medicine, and so on. It creates unnecessary stress or hassle.”

I think this applies in the classroom also for students and teachers.

For Students:

As a teacher, I need to make sure that my students don’t run out of encouragement. When things get tough, it is easier if there is someone on the sidelines encouraging them and being their cheerleader. When my students see that I’m on their side, the easier it will be for them to persevere.

As a teacher, I need to make sure they don’t run out of help. My students need to know that I won’t abandon them if they need help. My help might be in the way of showing them how to be more independent or it might be showing them how to find the answers they need to complete a task. As the task gets easier or they feel more comfortable, the less help they will need from me.

As a teacher, I need to make sure they have all the knowledge they need to accomplish their tasks as they work towards a goal. If they don’t have all that they need, I need to help them figure out how to get what they need. I might not be able to get it for them but can show them how to work towards getting what they need.

Sometimes my students need the basics such as food or water. If a student shows up hungry, there is no way that I’m going to be able to get them to solve problems or take risks. That is why I always keep a box of cookies or crackers in my classroom. Students are also allowed to drink water during class.

For Teachers:

It is also important that I don’t let myself run on empty because I can’t do the best I can for my students.

I need to take care of my health. This means eating right and getting the right physical exercise. I should not skip lunch at school to get papers graded or do school work.

I need to make sure I have an outlet to do something for “me” outside of school. This will help me from getting burned out. Focusing only on school work all day every day is not healthy for any teacher.

I should make sure I’m properly prepared for my classes ahead of time. This helps me make sure I have all the supplies, equipment, and any necessary resources for my lessons. I like to make any paper copies a few days early in case the copier breaks or some unforeseen situation keeps me from making the copies right before the lesson.

I need to make sure that I have a good support system inside and outside of school. I need to nurture friendships that are there for me when I need support and in turn I need to make sure that I can help support others when they need me.

What other things do you think is important not to run out of in the classroom? Please share.


No comments: