Tuesday, October 10, 2017

Fight or Flight


“Many teachers have a fight-or-flight response to being up at the front of the room. If that’s you, we can help.”

I have taught for over thirty years and every year, I get butterflies in my stomach every first day of classes. I also feel the same way every time I agree to talk at conferences or workshops. At that time, I wonder why in the world I ever agreed to do this! I know this is normal but I wish that I didn’t feel this way every time! I guess that if I didn’t care so much, I wouldn’t feel this way.

I know that I am prepared and know the material but I have this fear that:
·      I will mess up something.
·      I will do something embarrassing.
·      I will forget some information.
·      I won’t make sense.
·      Someone will ask me a question that I can’t answer.
·      The audience will be bored with what I’m sharing.

Here is what I need to remember:
·      If I mess up, I just need to acknowledge that I messed up and fix it.
·      Hopefully I won’t do anything embarrassing but apologize in advance and explain that I’m nervous. Usually the audience understands this and can commiserate with my feelings.
·      Remember that I have my visuals and notes that will help me remember what I need to share.
·      Once I get started with sharing information that I love, I make sense and this is an irrational fear.
·      If someone asks me something I can’t answer, I just need to acknowledge that I don’t know. Maybe someone in the audience can have suggestions. If not, I will ask that person to get with me later with their contact information and let them know I will find the answer and send it to them.
·      I worked hard to make the presentation interesting and fun. Hopefully they will enjoy it but I know that I can’t make everyone happy. There may be some people who are not interested in what I share but that is okay.

Do you ever get butterflies? How do you combat them? Please share.


No comments: