Thursday, August 18, 2016

T is for Time Management

School is back in session now and the hardest thing I see teachers and students struggle with is Time Management.

The main thing to do is to try to find a system that works for you. This might involve starting a system and then fine tuning it until it works. What may work for me might not work for you. Here are some suggestions:

Agenda/Calendar book – some schools issue an agenda book for students to use. The trick is getting in the habit of using it. I think it is also important not to just add when something is due or a test is scheduled but to add reminders a few days ahead of the due date. It might start out being a pain but the more you make it a habit, the easier it is to do and rely on.

Online Calendar – I use Google Calendar. I like that I can schedule reminders for advance warnings. These reminders can be sent as an email or pop up on my phone. Again, this needs to be made into a habit for it to be effective.

Priority List – I like to start each day with making a priority list. I list all of the things that I need to do for that day. Then I number them in order of priority. As the day goes along, I like marking each item off the list. I have moved away from paper and pencil sometimes and make a list on “Google Keep” which lets me add checkboxes. As I get things done, I can check the box and it moves it off the list.

Personal Time – I think it is important to schedule meal times and at least an hour of “me” time in the day. Eating is so important and gives you energy to do the things that need to be done. Too many teacher skip meals to get more done but I think it slows you down in the long run. Either you get sick from not eating right or you get so exhausted that you make too many mistakes that have to be corrected. Having “me” time helps to handle the stress in the workplace and is vital for mental and physical health.


I truly feel these things work well for both students and teachers. What do you do for time management? What would you add to this list? Please share.

No comments: