Monday, January 12, 2015

Decluttering

In Out With the Old? From Sioux's Page, Sioux asks,

“What is something old you'd like to get rid of/you've already gotten rid of? What are you going to replace it with(if anything)?”

I would like to do some major decluttering this year! I would like to get rid of 3 major groups of things that would make a difference in my house.

First, I have a couple of drawers filled with pens, pencils, and markers. I’m sure that half of the pens and markers no longer work. But I never take the time to go through the drawers and get rid of the ones that don’t work. I don’t think it would take that long but I need to make time to do this. Emptying these drawers will give me room for other things.

Next, I have a lot of old clothes that no longer fit me or I no longer like. I guess I keep them in case I either lose weight to fit them or I will suddenly like them again. That is crazy because I don’t think either will happen anytime soon. And probably when I lose weight, they will be so out of style I will look silly wearing them! I have clothes in the attic, in my dresser, and in two closets. I have so many clothes that I think if I wore a different piece every day, I still wouldn’t have worn everything I own. So, I need to sort through my clothes and make a few runs to Goodwill.

Last, I would like to get rid of all the junk that I have. These are little knick-knacks that somehow accumulate and papers that I’m not sure what to do with. Some of the odds and ends serve no purpose other than to make clutter. So I’m going to go through it all and ask the following questions:

1.     Have I needed it in the past year?
2.     Does it make me happy?

If the answer to either question is yes, then I will keep it. If the answer is no, I will either donate it or throw it away.

But I know just wanting to declutter is not good enough for me. I need to have a plan. I am going to try to do this at least once a week. It might take me all year but at the end of the year, I still have to better off than I am now.

What do you need to get rid of? Please share.

Image: '*' 
http://www.flickr.com/photos/89502548@N00/5082533505
Found on flickrcc.net


No comments: