Tuesday, July 2, 2013

If the World Were a Village- A Book Review

if world were villageI recently read the book If the World Were a Village by David J. Smith; illustrated by Shelagh Armstrong which was mentioned on The Picnic Basket. This is the review that I gave the book (I am not being paid to give this review):

This wonderful picture book was written for upper elementary level students but I think it would be great for middle school too. For some discussions, I could see it even being used in a high school class for visual demonstrations. I love how the book breaks down numerical information into usable, understandable information that any person can put into perspective. I think that is why pictographs are so well liked because it is a visual representation of hard to process information. This book puts world figures into a manageable amount so we can understand the different concepts. By doing this, the uses in the classroom are endless! This book can be used for discussion of the different statistics given. It can be used in a math, social studies, or science class. I can even see creative writing being done using these facts. This book should be in every school library!

I would definitely give this book a 5 out of 5!

No comments: