Tuesday, July 23, 2013

Take Chances

basketballIn Improve the Odds from Sioux's Page by Sioux , she shares,

“Improve your odds. Take more than one chance at some of the opportunities that come your way. You might end up a winner...”

This had me thinking about all of the chances I have taken on students in my classrooms.

Even though other teachers warned me that one of my students was a lost cause, I took a chance and believed in him. He blossomed under this faith I had in him and he succeeded.

Even though the parents warned me that their child was lazy, I expected the best from him and he gave it his all. We all were thrilled with his success.

Even though the student told me that he wasn’t going to do the work and I just needed to fail him, I refused to give up on him. I pushed and prodded until he did the work just to shut me up. I was so proud when he did well on the assignment. Seeing the surprise on his face was worth the effort. This motivated him to keep trying.

Even though my administrators warned me that I can’t save them all, I had to try. It is the success stories that keep me trying.

I remember talking to my friend who was a basketball coach and he always told his players that he would rather they try to make a shot and miss the basket than never try at all. No points were ever scored if no one took the chance.

That is how I feel in my classroom. If I never take the chance, how can I help my students succeed? If I don’t feel they are worth the risk, how can I expect them to take it?

Sure, I won’t be able to save them all but it is worth it to try to save the most that I can.

How about you? Do you take the risk? Are you willing to take a chance on your students? Please share.

Image: 'Air'
http://www.flickr.com/photos/51035555243@N01/63171813
Found on flickrcc.net

1 comment:

Sioux Roslawski said...

Pat--The "underdogs" in my classroom inevitably end up being my favorite students. Kids deserve chance after chance after chance.

Pat--Chicken Soup has a collection about overcoming hardships/obstacles they're developing. You should check it out. I'm sure you have a number of stories you could submit...