Tuesday, June 5, 2012

My Summer Plans

summerIn Catching Up from Tinkerings, Tim asks,

“And what, exactly, are your plans for the summer?”

Well Tim, I’m glad you asked! Of course this may be more than you really wanted to know but here it is.

I am giving two presentations at the Upstate Technology Conference in Greenville, SC called “Unveiling the Mystery of Project Based Learning.”

There is a Red Cross annual meeting and volunteer recognition event at Fluor Field at Westside in Greenville this week. Then I’m helping with the Volunteer picnic this month also. We are also on call every 6 weeks with our Disaster Action Team which helps families who have lost everything from a disaster.

I will also be teaching a graduate class for Furman University in July. This is a practicum class where my students are teachers and we will be running a school for students with learning problems. The school only lasts a month but I think the teachers and the students both benefit from this.

On Friday nights our town has free concerts at the City Hall fountain and on Saturday nights there are free bluegrass concerts at the Depot St. market area. I hope to enjoy some of these during the summer.

I am also doing lots of knitting and spinning. I’m continuing with making prayer shawls and leprosy bandages for charities with my church group. I’m also involved in some Knit-alongs and Spin-alongs through Ravelry (an online fiber social network).

I hope this year to get my gardens in shape. I want to plant more vegetables and flowers. But my weeds are very healthy this year. I’m trying to work in the gardens at least a couple of hours each day. I will probably need about 8 truck loads (pick up truck size) of mulch and it is free from our local landfill.

Hopefully in our down time, we will do short camping trips to the Smokies or even Shenandoah. I really enjoy getting out and doing some hiking. Sometimes I need to get away from the TV and the computers. I love to sit around the campfire and knit while my hubby and I talk.

So, now, I ask you, what are you doing this summer? Please share!

Image: 'Lake St. Peter [2]'
http://www.flickr.com/photos/37153080@N00/111717653

No comments: