Tuesday, September 7, 2010

When I Was Joe - A Book Review

WHEN_I_WAS_JOE I recently read the book When I Was Joe By Keren David which was mentioned on The Picnic Basket. This is the review that I gave the book (I am not being paid to give this review):

I would give this book 4 out of 5. This book is appropriate for a young adult and it is very thought provoking. The book involves a boy who witnesses a crime and ends up in the victim’s witness program. While I was reading it, I experienced a lot of different emotions. I felt outrage on behalf of Ty who seemed to get the short end of the stick when it came to mother. I also felt proud of him for trying to do what was right. Throughout the book, I also felt scared for him when it seemed like the bad guys were going to get him. It was a thriller that I couldn’t put down and I was disappointed when the book ended. I wanted to read more. I think the book could open up the discussion in a classroom about doing the right thing even though it may mean your whole life could change. It could also lead into conversations about gangs and peer pressure. I think it also is a great example of how your life can change in a moment depending on your actions and that it could happen to anyone. I did feel the book was kind of depressing and discouraging at times. I could see this book being offered in a school library.

Posted on the Successful Teaching Blog by loonyhiker (successfulteaching at gmail dot com).

No comments: