Thursday, September 2, 2010

Photo A Day Project: August 2010

August2010Mosaic

I’m into my second year of this project and I’m still enjoying it. It is actually easier the second year because some of the things I do have become a habit.

· I take my camera with me everywhere (even the grocery store.)

· Since it is a digital camera, I take lots of photos all day long.

· My husband has gotten involved with helping me find the “right” photo for the day.

· Sometimes I go to Daily Shoot for inspiration for the day and when I tell my husband, he is full of suggestions for this.

· I look at many things I’ve taken for granted differently.

· I am now noticing things I’ve never noticed before.

· I try to look at things differently and from different angles. I feel like I’m also doing this with the things I read or watch on TV.

I think this would be a great activity to do with students. Maybe a group of students could be assigned the photo of the day and take many pictures. Then the class could vote on the picture to be used for that day. Each week a different group would have this responsibility. It could open up many different discussions such as why the photo should be chosen or it could spark a discussion about the subject.

Do you do this project? If so, please share the link to your photos. What other ways could you see this project being used in the classroom?

Posted on the Successful Teaching Blog by loonyhiker (successfulteaching at gmail dot com).

Mosaic by Pat Hensley (August set of Flickr photos)

1 comment:

Sioux Roslawski said...

I wonder if you could take several photos taken from one day, or all the photos-of-the-day for the week, and have the students write a story, in which they connect the photos?

If you ever do digital stories with your class (using Powerpoint or Photostory 3) yo could use the photos in those stories...

I really like the idea of taking many pictures, and choosing only one for the day. That examination helps students become better writers as well. Their eyes have to be discerning. They have to weigh the options as they make their choice.