Tuesday, June 1, 2010

Will Grayson, Will Grayson: A Book Review

willgrayson I recently read Will Grayson, Will Grayson by John Green and David Levithan. It is young adult novel about two boys who have the same name and meet in real life. The story is told from each boy’s perspective and deals with teen relationships, homosexuality, and underage drinking.

Here is the review that I wrote on the Picnic Basket:

“I would have to rate this book 1 out of 5. In the area that I live in, I believe parents and school administrators would not allow this book in the school library. The sexual content and the language are too strong for students in this area. It also seemed to encourage underage drinking and fake IDs. I'm not sure that I would want my students reading this because it would bring up discussions that are not allowed in my classroom.”

I believe if this was in a school library, parents would definitely have a problem with this. I could see this becoming a huge headache for administrators. I know that these issues exist and are out there but I’m not sure I would want to discuss them in a classroom. I live in the conservative south and I don’t feel that the public would be very approving of this book in our schools.

Posted on the Successful Teaching Blog by loonyhiker (successfulteaching at gmail dot com).

No comments: