Monday, June 21, 2010

Alchemy and Meggy Swann – A Book Review

AlchemyandMeggySwan I recently read the book Alchemy and Meggy Swann by Karen Cushman which was mentioned on The Picnic Basket. This is the review that I gave the book (Note: I am not being paid to give this review).

I would definitely give this book 5 out of 5. The story takes place in London during the Elizabethan era and is about a young girl who has a physical disability and how she survives life during that time. The story starts off right away with an interest grabber and I couldn’t put it down. I think this book would be great to use in a classroom to enhance different types of lessons. It can be used as historical fiction and would lend itself to many discussions in a social studies class. I think the book also uses rich vocabulary to attract a student’s interest as well as lending itself to great vocabulary lessons. I think it also touches on a lesson of social skills in dealing with people who are different and how other people treat them. I like Meggy’s spirit in the story and how she doesn’t give up and let other people’s attitudes determine how she will live her life. In addition to be a great educational tool, it is an uplifting and interesting story. I can easily see this being used on the middle school level and even the high school level in a special education class.

Posted on the Successful Teaching Blog by loonyhiker (successfulteaching at gmail dot com).

No comments: