Wednesday, December 2, 2009

Last Night I Sang to the Monster – A Book Review

lastnightisangto the monster I just finished reading the book Last Night I Sang to the Monster by Benjamin Alire Sáenz (By the way, I am not being paid to write a review of this book.)

This is a very strong and moving book. Many students who are faced with alcohol problems would find this book motivating and inspiring. I think it would be helpful for them to know that they are not alone. At first I was a little unsure about how I would like this book but then once I got into it, I felt drawn into the main character. He couldn’t remember why he was in this place and each page led you closer to the events that led him here. As I read, I realized what a complicated character this was and I watched him change as I read the book. This would be a good book for high school students who are struggling with many of the same issues such as addictions and isolation. The profanity in the book was a little strong for this to be used in the classroom but I could see students reading this on their own. I would give this book a 4 our of 5.

No comments: