Sunday, June 23, 2024

Meeting a Friend in Real Life

6/16/2024

I love having my online friends but I really love meeting them in real life! Today was one of those days. 

We woke up and headed to see my friend Britni and her farm! I was so excited because she has been sending me her farm pictures for the past few years and I really enjoyed imagining it in real life. 


It took us about 4 hours to get to her house and we stopped in Monmouth for lunch first. We ate at the Maple City Family Restaurant and it was packed! The food was great! 


We got to her farm and it was beautiful. Her family is the fourth generation to live in their house and each generation has added to it but hasn’t done that yet. Then they showed us their personal garden in the backyard. They had sweet corn (for eating), and sunflowers, zinnias, and beets. Then we went across the street to see their farm equipment. Boy, they were huge! They grow field corn and soybeans that they sell. It was a huge farm! Justin was so patient in explaining how the whole process works from planting the seed, to harvest to storing it in the grain bins. It is a really labor-intensive process and I don’t think I ever appreciated farmers as much as I should! You could tell that Justin loves what he does and takes great pride in it too. He also said that this year, drones will be doing their crop dusting. I was surprised by how much technology was used in their farm equipment! 


After we left them, we headed to Iowa City and checked into our Hampton Inn Iowa City/University Area. After we checked in, we went to Costco to fill up with gas and got a hot dog and ice cream there for dinner. Then we went to the Devonian Fossil Gorge. We were able to walk on the 375 million-year-old ocean floor. We drove around and saw the dam and then we headed back towards the hotel. We drove by the University of Iowa football stadium on the way. 


It was a great day! 












No comments: