Monday, October 10, 2022

Showing Proof

Years ago, when I was a novice hiker, I was hiking with our local hiking group. After starting the hike, the temperatures dropped and it began to rain pretty hard. Another couple, Don and Jean Arthur, who was hiking with us, said they were not going to continue on the hike. They said that they didn’t need to prove anything to anyone so they were going to find a place to eat lunch and enjoy each other’s company.

Those words have meant a lot to me over the years and really shaped a lot of my decisions. They helped steer me in the right direction when I wavered over what I should do.

Many times, I had to make a hard decision and agonized over what I should do. I am the type of person that wants to please everyone else even if it causes trouble for me. I might not have the time or the skills actually to do what is asked of me but I have trouble saying no. Others knew that I had this problem so felt comfortable asking me to do things.

After hearing Don and Jean say this, I realized that I don’t have to prove myself to anyone either.

What a revelation that was to me!

Now, when I’m asked to do something, I think about those words. If it doesn’t feel right or I just don’t want to do it, I hear those words in my brain and I’m able to say no. I don’t have to prove anything to anyone except myself. I know if I’m doing my best at something and if I’m not, I’m just disappointing myself. If I don’t think it is right, then I shouldn’t do it because I’m accountable to myself.

Thanks to Don and Jean Arthur for making such an impact on my life!

This is what I want my students to learn. I want them to be accountable to themselves which helps them be independent. Don’t do something just because others are doing it. Do something because it is right for you. At the end of the day, if you can be proud of yourself, then you have made the right decisions. If you are miserable and unhappy, then maybe you have done things just to prove yourself to others and you should rethink your decisions.

When you remember this, you will be more successful in the classroom and in life!

No comments: