Monday, August 29, 2022

Doing Research

In Searching is a Thinking Skill from Free Technology for Teachers, Richard Byrne states,

“Researching is a thinking skill. It requires that the student first state what it is he or she is trying to determine. Without a clear purpose for the research, students will simply click around the web hoping to find “something useful.””

I have a friend who is a genius at researching! I love that she can think outside the box and give me advice on what to look for. She got her library science degree so I guess she learned a lot about researching from that.

But I don’t want my students to have to wait until after they get out of school in order to learn how to research a topic. I want them to learn how to do it while I can help them now.

I think a great activity would be to have students brainstorm keywords for different topics. Students can go in any direction and there are no wrong answers. I would start a word map with the topic in a circle in the middle of the board. Then each keyword would come off of that topic. There may be keywords that come off of the first keyword.

When students are given the freedom to go off on a tangent, it might actually help them look at the bigger picture. The more they practice this, the easier it will be for them. Eventually, they won’t need a group to help them do this kind of activity and can do it on their own.

The more research that students can do, the more successful they will be at finding information about their chosen topic.

How do you encourage students to learn how to do research? Please share.

Photo by Jason Goodman on Unsplash

4 comments:

Alice Brown said...

Thanks for sharing this information. This blog covers a lot of information. We appreciate your time and effort. Please keep sharing these blogs.
Interstate Removalists
https://www.cheapinterstatemovers.com.au/

Olivia Casa said...

Where do you find this kind of information? It's very insightful. keep going as fast as you can This blog is very detailed and insightful, and I think it's very helpful and knowledgeable. I'd like to thank you for taking the time and making the effort to create this blog.
Removalists Gold Coast

Emily Turner said...

Thank you for sharing such good information. One of the best posts I've ever read. I read all of your blogs, but this is the one I like best. It's exactly what I wanted to see, and I hope you'll keep posting great things in the future.
Removalists Near Me

Ethan Hawke said...

You're sharing useful information. Excellent work. This information has been saved as a bookmark for future use. This blog is wonderful and inspiring.
Newcastle Removalists