Monday, August 1, 2022

Beginning School Year Activity

Recently I was asked to share a back-to-school activity and thought you might enjoy it also. You can find other activities here: 


It is always hard for my students to start a new school year. Many of them are at a new school and don’t have any friends. They feel very isolated and anxious.

I like to start with an activity where I can learn a little about them without having them get up to introduce themselves first.

I give each student a blank sheet of paper and crayons or colored pencils. Then I ask them to fold it in fourths.

I ask them to write or draw their favorite food in the top left corner.

In the top right corner, I ask them to write or draw their favorite animal.

In the bottom left corner, I ask them to write or draw something about their family. (How many brothers/sisters/ pets etc.

In the bottom right corner, I ask them to write or draw something that they like to do.

I also complete this activity with them.

When everyone is done, I share my answer about my favorite food. Then I go around the room and ask each student to share their answer. I continue with each square this way. By the time it comes we get to the last square, many students seem to feel less anxious and more comfortable. I also think it is a good way for them to see that they may have things in common with the other students in the class.

What is a fun activity that you do on the first day of class? Please share.

Photo by Kelly Sikkema on Unsplash

No comments: