Monday, August 22, 2022

Doing More

In More than your share from Seth Godin's Blog, Seth Godin states,

“Whether it’s splitting a check, getting a project done or making an impact on the culture or a cause, if you want things to get better, the only way is to be prepared to do more than your fair share. Because we need to make up for the folks who don’t.”

Too many times, I’ve heard, “It’s not my job.”

If we only do the minimum and what is expected of us, how can the world be a better place?

When I borrowed something as a youngster, my parents always taught me to return whatever I borrowed in better condition than when I borrowed it. If I borrow a dish, I return it with some goodies on it. If I borrow a cup of sugar, I return 2 cups. If I borrow a tool, I clean it before I return it.

When I did a chore, I was expected to do a little more than what was expected. If I had to vacuum the bedroom, I did all the bedrooms. If I dusted one room, I dusted more than one room. If I weeded the gardens for an hour, I worked two hours. I always did a little more.

As a teacher, I had deadlines so I would apply the same mindset. If something was due in 5 days, I turned it in within 3 days. Sometimes, I try to do it immediately so I don’t forget it.

I usually have my students pick up all the trash on the floor before they are dismissed. They usually fuss about it not being their trash so they shouldn’t have to pick it up. When no one picks up the trash, I don’t let anyone leave so eventually someone will pick up the trash, and then they can all leave. This usually only happens during the first week of school. After that, I notice students picking up trash that they see so that they don’t have to argue about it at the end of class. I also see students holding others accountable for the trash that they drop.

It is never hard to do just a little bit more.

If everyone does a little more than they have to, everyone would be more successful in life.

What do you do more of? What do you notice others do more of? Please share.

Photo by James Healy on Unsplash

No comments: