Tuesday, May 3, 2022

Taking Flight

“The NVIV (Next Vista Inspiring Video) series of posts are written by Rushton Hurley and designed to provide students and teachers with fascinating discussion prompts.”

In Taking Flight, Rushton features Bin Xu, a farmer who created his first successful aircraft out of his family’s farming equipment.

He gives the following prompts to accompany this video:
“Think about what people you know hope for, or perhaps something you yourself want to do. Perhaps there are barriers that seem insurmountable. Can you think of a clever way to make it happen?
What personal qualities does Mr Xu have that you admire?”


What an inspiration this video was! My mother used to say that where there was a will, there was a way. I felt the same way about going to college in the 1970s. My parents couldn’t afford to send me to college but I was determined to go. I found a way through loans, scholarships, and the work-study program. I want to encourage my students to find a way if they want to achieve a goal and never stop trying.

Please check out the video and think of other prompts you might come up with. Please share.

No comments: