Monday, May 23, 2022

Green Gradient Mini Skeins

I want to knit a shawl that calls for a gradient and I decided to dye my own yarn for it. After watching several YouTube videos, I decided what I would do and I wanted to share my process. 




  1. I used 6 mason jars, Jacquard Acid Dye (Emerald), a 100 ml measuring cup, measuring spoons, a scale, and 6 disposable cups. 

  2. Soak mini skeins in water for at least 30 minutes. 

  3. In each of the 5 disposable cups, I added ¼ cup of water. 

  4. I measured out 2g of dye powder to 100 ml of water to make my 2% dye solution and mixed it well in a disposable cup. 

  5. I took 2 Tablespoons of dye solution out of cup 1 and added it to cup 2 and mixed well. 

  6. I took 2 Tablespoons of dye solution out of cup 2 and added it to cup 3 and mixed well.

  7. I took 2 Tablespoons of dye solution out of cup 3 and added it to cup 4 and mixed well.

  8. I took 2 Tablespoons of dye solution out of cup 4 and added it to cup 5 and mixed well.

  9. I took 2 Tablespoons of dye solution out of cup 5 and rid of it. 

  10. I then poured each cup into a mason jar and added water up to half the jar and mixed well. 

  11. Then I squeezed out the excess water from each mini skein and put them in each jar. 

  12. I let them sit overnight. 

  13. The next day, I put the jars in a steamer basket into a big pot of water and brought the water to a boil. Water should be just below the top of the water level in each jar. I lowered the heat once it was boiling so the jars wouldn’t boil and let it steam for 10 min. 

  14. I had to do this procedure several times because only 2 jars would fit in at a time. 

  15. I put all the jars outside to cool. 

  16. Once the jars were cool, I took the yarn out and squeezed the excess water, and let them cool. 

  17. I washed them well separately to make sure all the dye was out. 

  18. Hung to dry. 


Things I learned: 

I think I would start with a 1% solution next time. 

Take out a ½ c. of solution from each jar. 

I like the 5th darkest skein the best and wouldn’t mind making a full skein in that color. 


Original photos by Pat Hensley

No comments: