Wednesday, May 5, 2021

Motivating Students

Recently someone asked a group of us for help.

“Looking for ways to motivate the unmotivated students who are struggling to pass 9th grade classes and some end up repeating those classes. Are there any best practices that you or others have used that have been successful?”

Here is my answer:

I think it is important to remember that all students are different and are motivated by different things.

I like to start with an interest inventory. I like to find out the things they like to do and things they like to eat or drink. I know when I have to do something I don’t want to do, I like to reward myself with something if I get the dreaded task completed. I’m sure that students can be motivated the same way.

Students this age also need to have some input. They already feel like so many things are not in their control so completing assignments is something they can control. Talk to students about what is keeping them from succeeding. Ask them what would help them be more successful. Maybe they are overwhelmed by the assignments and need them broken down into smaller steps. When students have input, there is a higher chance of them having success.

Offer choices. Students with different learning styles can be very creative. Look at what your objectives are and then give them different ways to show you that they understand the work. Instead of a typical written test, let them suggest other ways they can let you assess their understanding such as a brochure, PowerPoint presentation to the class, diorama, or poster.

What advice would you give? Please share.

Photo by Tegan Mierle on Unsplash

No comments: