Tuesday, May 18, 2021

Being Different is Okay

Every day I see students trying to fit in and be like everyone else. The sad part is that they don’t realize that no one is like everyone else. Like fingerprints, every person is unique and it is impossible to be exactly like someone else.

I want students to know that as they continue in life they will belong to many different groups, They might end up in groups according to work skills, hobbies, common interests, and even age groups. Yet, even though each group has something in common, every person brings their own individual strengths to the group.

I have a young friend that so comfortable in her own skin that she doesn’t mind being different than the majority. This doesn’t mean that she can’t fit into whatever group she wants to fit in with but if her goals take her in a different direction than her groups, she is willing to go on her own. She might even go in a direction that leads her to different groups. If she didn’t have the courage to face some times outside of groups, she might miss many opportunities to enjoy life. So, she doesn’t let being part of a group impede her joy for living.

However many people don’t realize this until they are much older and have missed out on many opportunities. I want my students to understand this and learn it earlier than I did. I want them to have more time to enjoy life than others who realize this later in life.

When I was teaching, I realized that I had a different philosophy than a lot of teachers in my school. This didn’t mean that I was wrong or that they were wrong. It just meant that we looked at teaching students a little differently. I liked being a facilitator in my student’s learning rather than the lecturer imparting all my knowledge. I liked having parents be a part of my time on a regular basis rather than as an observer looking in. I wanted my students to have input and choices concerning their learning rather than dictating what and when they would learn the material.

Even in the workforce, the employer is looking for someone who will fit in with the team. Are they able to work with others and pull their own weight? Yet, they are also looking for someone different who can add a new strength to the team. They are not looking for someone who is exactly like someone they already have because they don’t need another person like that.

How do you get students to understand that it is okay to be different? Please share.

Photo by Randy Fath on Unsplash

No comments: