Tuesday, February 23, 2021

Benefits of Chunks

I believe it is better to teach in small chunks than a huge big piece.

If I expect my students to learn the big picture, they have to remember a lot of different pieces all at one time. When I’m learning something new, it is hard to learn all the pieces at once and then be able to put them all together.

I have played the accordion since I was four years old. I was given a piece of music and thought that I would never be able to play it. I was so overwhelmed and intimidated by the piece. I remember my teacher breaking a huge piece into smaller pieces for me. I just had to learn and practice one part during the week before my next lesson. As I mastered each part, I was given an additional new part to add onto the part that I already knew. Eventually, I was able to play the whole piece easily and I felt so proud of myself.

I want to teach my students how to achieve their goals in the same way that my accordion teacher taught me to play new songs.

I like to look at the big picture as the long-term goal for my student. Then I want to break it down into smaller pieces or chunks for my student to learn. This way, the student can learn and master one piece at a time. Learning is easier and the student usually succeeds in mastering the smaller piece.

With each little step that is mastered successfully, learning the next step is a little easier and less scary. Once the student learns all the small steps, it is easier to put it all together and create a bigger piece.

The important thing that I need to find, like a good detective. is how to teach the small step in a way that works for the individual student. Each student learns differently so one size does NOT fit all. By teaching to the student’s learning style, the student will be more successful with the learning.

How do you feel about teaching n small chunks? Please share.

Photo by Charisse Kenion on Unsplash

No comments: