Tuesday, January 26, 2021

Kindness

In Three types of kindness from Seth Godin's Blog, Seth Godin states,

“Kindness multiplies and it enables possibility. When we’re of service to people, we have the chance to make things better.”

During these stressful times, it is really hard to be kind. Many people are extremely focused on their own health and safety or their family’s health and safety. It feels like a free-for-all where everyone is only watching out for themselves and not caring about anyone else.

I’m trying to be more mindful about being kind to others. I look at what people are wearing and if I see something I like on someone, I compliment them on it. I love seeing the surprise in their eyes when a complete stranger says something nice to them. With their warm thanks, I feel like I made someone smile today.

If a salesclerk is annoying me or makes me feel irritated, I try to stop and be kind. I wonder if they have had a bad day or if they experienced a disappointment. I remind myself that I have had bad days and I need to let it go. To give this person some leeway is kindness. I don’t want to add more to their stress by having a nasty altercation.

I look around when I’m shopping and I try to be aware of the people around me. If a person in a handicapped cart, they might have trouble reaching for things on the shelf and I offer to help. If I see an elderly person struggling to put something big or heavy in their cart, I offer to help. One time an elderly man asked me to read the directions on a box because he left his glasses at home.

It only takes a few moments to be kind to someone and that can make you feel good about your actions. When you are feeling good, you make better choices. When you make better choices, you are making the world a better place.

In what ways do you show kindness? Please share. 

Photo by Randalyn Hill on Unsplash

No comments: