Thursday, August 27, 2020

Countdowns

In The magic of the countdown from Seth Godin's Blog, Seth Godin shares,

“It focuses the attention of everyone involved and ensures that we’re truly alert for what’s going to happen next.”

I tend to use the timer for myself on a lot of personal things. I used the countdown timer when I’m cooking or a reminder to turn the stove off. I tend to get consumed in an activity and forget about other things. This has resulted in a few burnt hard-boiled eggs! I use the countdown timer to remind myself of a webinar that I want to attend. I also used the countdown to motivate me to do the chores that I don’t like to do. When I have a timer on, it helps me do the unpleasant things in small chunks.

Countdowns are a great tool to use in the classroom. It helps students transition to the next activity.

At the start of the day, it is good to have a countdown before class starts so students can prepare to settle down. I like to remind them to use this countdown time to get their materials together such as paper and pencils. This helps me from wasting time during instructional time.

If I put students in groups, I like to set a specific time limit for group time. I usually find an online timer so all of the groups can see how much time they have left whenever they need to see it. This keeps them from asking me how much time they have left. When there are only 5 minutes left, I like to announce to the groups to finish up and clean up if needed.

If the student change classes, it is good to have a 5-minute countdown before the end of class. This is a good time to answer questions and allow students to organize their materials before they leave.

If I plan on changing to a different activity, it is good to give a countdown before the change. This allows them to finish up what they are working on and give them time to make a mental transition to the next activity.

Do you use a countdown timer? If so, please share how.

Photo by Marcelo Leal on Unsplash

No comments: