Wednesday, January 8, 2020

Word of the Year – Flexibility


This year my word of the year is FLEXIBILITY.

According to Dictionary.com, flexibility means:

“susceptible of modification or adaptation; adaptable”

I have a lot of trouble with flexibility in my life. I like routines and rules. I like everything to be in black and white. I don’t like gray areas. I like schedules and knowing what to expect.

This year I want to be able to merge what I like with flexibility. I can still have my schedules and routines, but I need to have alternatives. I need to be prepared for when my routine and schedule isn’t going to work. I need to be more spontaneous and accepting when my schedules and routines are thrown out the window.

It is not the end of the world if my routine is not followed. The only one that routines mean anything to are me and if the day is different than the routine I expected, it is okay. In fact, it can end up being more fun.

I have ended up seeing my  routines and schedules as my safety net. As long as I stick to what I have planned, I feel safe. But by playing it safe, sometimes I miss out on opportunities that could be fun and bring more happiness to myself and others.

I am going to write this word on post-it notes and put them in several places that I see regularly in order to remind myself about this.

Do you have a word you want to focus on this year? Please share.

Photo by Wesley Tingey on Unsplash



No comments: