Thursday, April 18, 2019

Retirement Rules


In Rules for retirement from Blue Skunk Blog, Doug Johnson asks,

“Any retirees out there who have their own set of rules for retirement?”

I never thought about it but I guess I have my own rules since I retired from teaching in public school. I don’t have many rules because I’m so routine oriented. I get up the same time every morning without the need for an alarm. I guess it is a habit after 30 years of getting up at the same time.

I actually had to learn to let go of the “rules” and just enjoy retirement. We love to travel and I’m a big planner, but my husband isn’t. He had to keep asking me to think about "what if." What if we don’t plan? What if we just play it by ear? What is the worst that could happen? When I looked at the consequences, I realized that letting go of the rules just means it will be a new adventure!

If I wrote out my rules from when I first retired, I think the list would be longer. Now I’m kind of proud that my list is so short.

Here is my list:

1.     I exercise or walk on the treadmill at least six days a week. I need to stay active.
2.     Eat healthier.
3.     I write a blog post every Monday through Friday.
4.     I keep a bullet journal where I make a list every morning of the things that I want to accomplish each day.
5.     Each day I write down one thing that I am grateful for.

Photo by Mark Duffel on Unsplash






No comments: