Wednesday, February 27, 2019

Fake It Until You Make It


“It’s entirely possible that acting as if would actually create the very outcome you’re hoping for.”

When I first became a volunteer at the state park to lead second graders around the lake, I was nervous. I was afraid that I would mess up. After giving myself a pep talk, I decided that since no one in the group knew that I was new at this, I would act as if I wasn’t. I acted like I had experience and knew what I was doing. My stomach was doing flip flops all through the hike, but I believe everyone had a great time and I didn’t mess up. By acting as if it was all going to be fine, my mental attitude helped me achieve my outcome.

Recently I learned how to use my sewing machine because my friends came over to help me learn how to sew a skirt. Then I decided to make a top all by myself. I had to ask myself what was the worst thing that could happen. No one knew I was doing this so all I would do is waste time and material. So, I told myself that I could do this and if I needed to, I could always go to my friends for help. After a few hours, I had a new top and it looked great. It wasn’t perfect but I made it all by myself.

When I get before a group of my peers to give a presentation, I always get so nervous. I’m nervous because I don’t want to mess up, I want people to like my presentation and I want people to feel like they haven’t wasted their time by being there. I know that fear and lack of confidence can really ruin a presentation, so I act like I’m brave and confident. Usually, within a few minutes, I don’t have to act this way because I actually feel this way.

I believe this is a skill that I need to teach my students. I know that athletes sometimes use this “positive visualization” in order to picture themselves achieving their goals. This would be great for students to picture also but I don’t think this is enough. I think that students need to be actively believing that they can do it while they are working towards that goal. Believing is just not enough. By taking action, you are making belief more real and this makes the goal more possible.

When have you had to fake it until make it? Please share.

Photo by Steven Libralon on Unsplash





No comments: