Tuesday, February 26, 2019

Being Exclusive

According to the Merriam-Webster dictionary, inclusive means “broad in orientation or scope” and exclusive means “excluding others from participation.”

I hear so much on social media about how we need to work on diversity in our community and be more inclusive. I believe that it is too easy to go around and say how inclusive a group is, but it is much harder to think about the ways that we exclude people. There are many ways we exclude people without even thinking about it.  

We will never be totally inclusive in every aspect of society because it is impossible. I think it is important that we make sure we are including and excluding people for the right reasons. Exclusivity is a fact of life.

There are so many ways that we exclude people and there may be times that there is no other way. We exclude people from attending certain colleges and universities because they don’t meet the minimum standard required. We exclude certain people for jobs because they don’t have the required skills. We exclude students from general education classrooms because we think they may need a more restrictive environment.

We need to make sure that people are allowed to do things regardless of race, color, religion (creed), gender, gender expression, age, national origin (ancestry), disability, marital status, or sexual orientation as long as they possess the skills needed to accomplish the goal. Yet, there are times when a person’s skill level may limit them to what they can do because of safety reasons. Being inclusive should not supersede safety precautions and minimum standards. I do not want a person who is blind to be using power tools or driving a car. A person with a hearing disability should not be working at a place where hearing sound is vital to the safety of everyone.  

People should not be hired or expected to do a job just because we want to show the world how inclusive we are.  But, if it doesn’t involve safety or specific skills needed, we need to make sure that we don’t exclude people because of their race, color, religion (creed), gender, gender expression, age, national origin (ancestry), disability, marital status, or sexual orientation.

There are many other ways that we exclude people without meaning to do so.

When I assign homework, I want to make sure that the student has everything needed in order to be successful in completing the assignment. If I know that the student will need to do research, I need to make sure that the student has access to the internet or a library. If I want an assignment printed out and not handwritten, I need to make sure that the student has access to a keyboard and a printer. The student may have to use the school library to do this work. I remember when I was in school and we were expected to read the newspaper every night and bring in a news article the next day to discuss. Unfortunately, my family did not subscribe to the newspaper so I would always get a bad grade on this homework assignment.

If I want the student to create something, I need to make sure that the student has access to the materials needed. Some of my students may have financial difficulties where getting the materials is impossible. The parents of this student may use all of their money toward foods and shelter. For them, art supplies are a luxury that they don’t have. I remember growing up and having to do projects like this, but my parents could not afford the supplies and I was too ashamed to tell the teacher. Instead, I got a low grade for not completing the project. Or I may have been assigned to a group and everyone in the group could afford expensive supplies except me, so no one really wanted me in their group.  I may be able to lend the student materials or even supply some of the raw material (drawing paper, clay, etc.).

What other ways are students excluded in the classroom? Please share.

Photo by Markus Spiske on Unsplash




No comments: