Monday, August 27, 2018

Taking Risks


“What risks are you willing to take this year? How will you push yourself out of your own comfort zone?”

I have to confess that I’m not a risk taker. I like things to be comfortable and it is easy for me to get into a rut.

Thankfully my husband is more of a risk taker and has to be patient with me when I am out of my comfort zone. Since I know I have this problem, I try to push myself to take more risks.

Here are some of the things I’ve done to push myself:

·      I make yearly goals and post it in my blog to hold myself accountable.
·      I try to pick one thing for the year that I want to do but I’ve been afraid to try.
·      When I really dig my heels in, I have to stop and think about what would be the worse thing that could happen and how I would cope with the challenge.
·      Try to see negative possibilities as challenges rather than catastrophes.

Risks I’ve taken this year:

·      Envelope art – I’ve always been intimidated with art because my oldest sister and my father were great with art.
·      Designing knitting patterns – It is really scary to send the pattern to test knitters because it makes you feel very vulnerable.
·      Travel without making hotel reservations – I always feel antsy about this but I understand why my husband doesn’t like to commit due to weather or moods that can change quickly.

Risks I am willing to take this year:
·      Talking to a publisher about a book deal – I don’t know what to expect. It is scary but I’m curious since they contacted me.
·      I’d like to try to publish my children’s book and will work harder on finding a publisher.
·      I am having a lot of trouble with this. I’m not sure what risks I want to take and sometimes I don’t realize it until it is right in front of me. I don’t realize it is a risk until I feel anxious about deciding about something.

What risks have you taken? What risks would you like to take? How do you push yourself? Please share.

Photo by Katika Bele on Unsplash



No comments: