Thursday, October 23, 2014

Changing is Hard

 

changeIn Nobody likes to hear it from Dangerously Irrelevant, Scott McLeod shares,

“… we DO need to change, we DO need to do things differently, and we are NOT there yet.”

My husband hates change. He likes things to be the same when he works on his computer and if a website that he goes to regularly, changes its look, I hear about it! He says it is like learning something new all over again.

He likes his routine to be pretty much the same and when things get out of whack, he forgets certain things and he feels disoriented.

Well, we just returned from a trip and things are topsy turvy in our home. I have 6 inches of dust everywhere and my house needs a deep cleaning. My satellite dish didn’t work and after awful service over the phone, we decided to switch companies. Then we had the cable company install cable in our house which delayed the cleaning. On and on the saga goes. But the bottom line is that, I forgot to post this article this morning.

I look forward to getting back in a routine again. It seems to settle me down and I can focus on the non routine things that need my attention. I miss this routine when we travel and I think I need to come back home and get back into my routine to ground myself.

My students seem to feel the same way. After vacations and holidays, they seem to look forward to returning to school and getting back into the routine.

But sometimes we just the routine as a safety net which can turn into a crutch. Instead of broadening our horizons and learning new things, we yell about having to change and want things to be the way they were.

We need to find that line between the security of what was and the excitement of learning new things. If someone hadn’t learned how to do new things, we would still be riding in horse and buggies or living in the dark ages.

We need people who are willing to be daring and face the unknown. But we need the people who are willing to be in the background for security when things don’t go the way we hoped for. But the main thing is that we need to support each other. We need to encourage those who try the new things and we need to be thankful to those who are there to catch those that fall. But we shouldn’t let each other stay in the rut of never changing or always changing.

How do you feel about change? Please share.

Image: 'Seasons Change'
http://www.flickr.com/photos/31246066@N04/5121853469
Found on flickrcc.net

No comments: