Monday, July 21, 2014

Rockets Red Glare - Book Review

RocketsRedGlareI recently was asked by Flowerpot Press to review the book Rocket’s Red Glare by Peter Alderman and illustrated by Bea Moritz. I am not being paid to give this review but here it is. This book which includes a CD sells for $16.99SRP and has 31 pages. This would be a great book in an elementary school classroom or library.

I have to start off by saying that I don’t think we do enough to teach our students about patriotism like we used to do. They don’t realize what a great country we live in and the sacrifices that people made throughout history to make it great. I was thrilled to a book like this and I thought it was an awesome book! Not only were the illustrations wonderful but the way the story was written was also wonderful. I felt anticipation and excitement as I turned each page and I think it would truly appeal to students in the same way.

This book could be used for recreational reading or as a classroom tool in the following areas:

Reading – The story is rich with vocabulary words such as fluttering, mast, patriotism, perilous, flagship, and defensive. It would also be great for using in teaching predictions before turning to the next page.

History – Overview of the War of 1812, the story of our national anthem, President James Monroe, Fort McHenry.

Social Skills – opens discussion for keeping your word, helping friends

Art – Make a US Flag

Music – Learn the national anthem.

I definitely recommend this book and think it should be on a school shelf whether in the library or the teacher’s classroom.

No comments: