Tuesday, November 20, 2012

How I Work

070912In I’m Damian Bariexca, and This Is How I Work

from Apace of Change, Damian shares information about himself. Then he asks,

“Who are you, and how do YOU work?”

Here is my information:

  • Name: Pat Hensley
  • Occupation: Retired special ed teacher now teaching teachers on the university level
  • Location: Greenville, SC
  • Current Primary Computer: Toshiba Satellite laptop running Windows 7
  • Current Phone: Droid Incredible with Verizon service
  • I work: daily on my blog, give presentations when asked, and try to learn something new every day!

What apps/tools/software can’t you live without?

Gmail, Google Reader, Plurk, Facebook. These tools keep me connected to the world.

What’s your workspace setup like?

I sit side by side next to my husband while we both work on our laptops. When I need a break, I knit (which is beside my working area) or I spin (my spinning wheel is in my sunroom).

What do you listen to while you work?

I don’t usually listen to anything while I’m writing because it distracts me. Sometimes my husband will turn the TV on to watch the news or the stock market but I usually can tune them out.

What’s your best time-saving trick?

Staying organized. I make lists that are prioritized and then mark each item off as it is done. It makes me feel good when I can mark off everything on the list (or at least most of it).

Besides your phone and computer, what gadget can’t you live without?

This is a tie between my phone and my iPad. My phone connects me to family members who live in other states. My parents are in their 90s and this is the main way we stay connected. My iPad has really made traveling so much easier for me. I can look up gas prices, reviews and suggestions for places to eat and even make hotel reservations quickly.

What everyday thing are you better at than anyone else?

I think the best thing I do is have a positive attitude. I consciously make the choice to have a good day. Sometimes I hit some obstacles but at the end of the day I can usually look back and feel like I’ve had a good day. I like to start off the day by saying something positive to others on Twitter, Plurk, and Facebook. I look for good things to happen. If I meet someone that gets on my nerves, I try to find something good about that person. If something gets on my nerves, I either leave it and come back to it or try to find a good reason why I should continue to struggle with it. I try to appreciate each day because I can’t imagine not having it and what I would be missing!

Any other interesting tidbits/hints for your readers?

I am bad about procrastinating! I sometimes lie to myself and say that I work better under pressure but that isn’t true. I work well under pressure because I have no choice. Then I promise that I won’t do this again next time (until next time comes!).

I also like to collect hobbies. I like to read (always have since I learned to read). I’ve done cross-stitch, crocheting, gardening, hiking, camping, backpacking, knitting, and spinning. Now my hubby and I are looking into archery as a new hobby. There are so many neat things to learn and I feel like I don’t have enough time to learn them all! I’m just going to take one hobby at a time.

Now I want to repeat the question to you -  Who are you, and how do YOU work? Please share!

Original photo by Pat Hensley

No comments: