Thursday, March 10, 2011

Feelings about Social Networking

networkingIn Educational Technology Questionnaire – How would YOU answer? (Update) from Angela Maiers Educational Services, Inc., Angela Maiers asked how her readers how they would answer the following questions:

1. Do you think that online social networking sites have a positive or negative effect on the users’ social development and social skills? In what ways?

2. Right now the number of users on Facebook are over 500 million users. How high do you think this number will become a few years down the road? How long do you think it will take for Facebook to reach 1 billion users?

3. Do you believe that online social networking plays a major role in politics? In what ways?

4. What are is your take on the privacy concerns of social networking sites like Facebook? Is this actually a legitimate problem or just an exaggeration?

5. In what ways do you think online social networking will affect our society in the future?

As this post has been shared on Twitter, many of you suggested sharing these questions with your students as well! That is a fantastic idea, so I created a Google form to use in your conversations!

SHARE YOUR ANSWERS HERE: Educational Technology Questionnaire

Here are my answers:

1. I think online social networking sites have a positive effect on the users’ social development and social skills. I find myself connecting with others so much easier since I have joined online social networking sites. By doing this, I have found others who are interested in the same things that I am. I am able to debate with others by using rational arguments and evidence but I’m able to do this easier online. If I met these people face to face at first, I think my shyness would have kept me from sharing my thoughts and ideas. After getting to know others this way, meeting them face to face is much easier.

2. I can see billions of people on Facebook as more and more young people get of age to use it. I can see Facebook reaching a billion by the end of this year.

3. I definitely believe that online social networking plays a major role in politics. In the past couple of elections, I liked to see politicians’ Facebook pages. I was able to see what they stood for and where they might hold their next meetings with the public. I read more about politicians there than reading any brochures or handouts they might be giving out.

4. As long as we have choices on how to set up our privacy settings, I don’t have a concern. When Facebook starts sharing my personal info with others without my knowledge or permission and then won’t let me change this, I have a concern. I think many people overreact to what could possibly happen when young people use Facebook. Parents need to be knowledgeable and diligent in watching and protecting their children whether they are on Facebook or walking through the shopping mall.

5. I think as more and more people become comfortable with online social networking sites, businesses will be using them within their infrastructure as well as reaching out to their customers.

What would your answers be to these questions? Please share either here or on the questionnaire.

Posted on the Successful Teaching Blog by loonyhiker (successfulteaching at gmail dot com).

Original image: '_-_ complexity [1]'
http://www.flickr.com/photos/22767170@N00/384027019 by: Domenico Nardone

1 comment:

Math Software For Kids said...

It really depends on how you use it and on how you make and add friends.