Thursday, November 4, 2010

Imaginalis - A Book Review

ImaginalisI recently read the book Imaginalis by J. M. DeMatteis which was mentioned on The Picnic Basket. This is the review that I gave the book (I am not being paid to give this review):

I would definitely give this book 5 out of 5. Once I began reading the book, I couldn’t put it down. I think this would be a great book for upper elementary to middle school students. I can see it being used in the school library or as a class novel. I love the way the author encourages the reader to use their imagination. I think we don’t do this enough with students anymore and I’m glad to see a book that allows for imagination as well as having a gripping story line. There are so many wonderful inspirational quotes in the book that can be used in the classroom as well. Topics for a class discussion can be peer pressure, loss of a loved one, imagination vs. reality, creative writing, and trusting others. I think girls and boys would enjoy this book tremendously. It was also interesting to see how the main character Mehera changed. This also would be a great discussion for the class in determining how she changed and what factors were involved in making this change. It would also be fun to have students continue the story after it ends and see where their imagination would take the main characters. I highly recommend this book!

Posted on the Successful Teaching Blog by loonyhiker (successfulteaching at gmail dot com).

No comments: