Wednesday, October 28, 2009

Educating Esme – Favorite Quotes

I finished reading Educating Esme – Diary of a Teacher’s First Year in two days and it was a wonderful book. If you are a teacher, you will really enjoy this book so I highly recommend that you take the time to read it. I wanted to share some of my favorite quotes from the book with you.

“Even if I fail, I have to try and try and try. It may be exhausting, but that is beside the point. The goal is not necessarily to succeed but to keep trying, to be the kind of person who has ideas and see them through. “

“She urged me to forgive myself at the end of each day, that no single thing I could say would break a child…or make a child.”

“It’s not our job to be liked...It’s our job to help them be smart.”

“Compromise isn’t always something you do for somebody else. Save your job for yourself. If you want to leave, wait for the big fight.”

“So much of teaching is sharing. Learning results in sharing, sharing results in change, chang is learning.”

“You can’t test what sort of teacher someone will be, because testing what someone knows isn’t the same as what someone is able to share. This will be different for every teacher.”

“The difference between a beginning teacher and an experienced one is that the beginning teacher asks, ‘How am I doing?’ and the experienced teacher asks, ‘How are the children doing?’”

I hope these quotes might inspire you and remind you what you love about teaching. This love of teaching will help you be successful in the classroom!

No comments: