Thursday, October 3, 2024

Hurricane Helene

Untitled

On September 27, Hurricane Helene arrived with a bang! It was my birthday and I was anticipating a fun day. Instead, I woke up to high winds and heavy rains. At 6 am, we lost power. As I sat in my sunroom in the dark, except for a candle, I heard the wind whipping around outside. I heard what sounded like ladders flying around, which I found out later were my neighbor's gutters that had fallen and were sliding on their porch hitting the railings. At daybreak, our oak tree in the front yard by the driveway fell across the street blocking both lanes. If it had happened a little earlier in complete darkness, one of the cars I saw passing by would have driven right into it. A little while later, a Leland Cypress and our huge pecan tree (over 100 years old) fell in my backyard. Luckily they didn’t hit the house.


Since our power was out, that means our sump pump wasn’t working in our crawl space under the house. Once it was filled with water, our hot water heater and HVAC system were completely submerged under 6 feet of water. When our power came back on, the pump emptied the water but we have to let the equipment dry out before we can even try to see if they will work. (Imagine dropping your phone in the toilet. You have to let it dry before you turn it on or you might fry the electronics.). As of now, we just have all the windows open to keep the house cool. Last night we had to turn on the ceiling fan in our bedroom so we could sleep more comfortably.

We are so thankful that we weren’t hurt and no one we know was hurt or has died. It is almost a week later and 50% of our county still doesn’t have power. Some use well water so without power, they don’t even have water. So many other people and towns have had it worse than we have. As we look at all the devastation around us, we look at our problems as more of an inconvenience than a catastrophe.

Now it is time for clean up.




Original photos by Pat Hensley

No comments: