Thursday, August 24, 2023

Learn at Your Own Pace

In Ride your own bike from Seth Godin's Blog, Seth Godin shares,

"Then I realize that it’s not a bike race, it’s a bike ride. There is no winning, just the riding."

To me, learning is like a bike ride and not a race. I never get to the end and I am constantly learning new things.

This is how I want my students to feel about learning. At what point, do we disillusion them about learning? Most small children are happy about going to school and learning. Then slowly, some of them fall to the wayside and feel left out. They learn slower and feel like they are doing it wrong. Eventually, they dread learning and this makes me sad.

I want all of my students to feel excited about learning. This is why I try to find out what they are interested in. After finishing an assignment that I give them, I try to encourage them to learn more about a topic they are interested in. Once they find out all they can about this topic, they can move on to another topic. Learning is an ongoing activity and doesn’t stop until you die!

How do you get your students excited about learning? Please share.

Photo by Jen Theodore on Unsplash

No comments: