Monday, June 28, 2021

The Library

(During the summer months, I like to take the A-Z Challenge and come up with words alphabetically and see how they apply to education. I think it’s a great exercise for teachers and students to give this a try.)

When I was a little girl, my parents introduced me to the library. It was a magical place and took me on grand adventures throughout the years.

My dad was a hard-working man and my mom was a stay-at-home mom so we couldn’t afford a lot of extras. Books were considered a luxury but borrowing a book from the library was free! It encouraged my reading and my sense of adventure.

Even today, the library brings me a lot of joy with the many options I have available to me. I can check out books, magazines, CDs, DVDs, audiobooks, and ebooks. If it isn’t available at my local library, I can even ask them to look for it at other libraries. Not only do I use it for recreational reading, I use it to get information on things I want to know more about. 

Whenever we want to make a big purchase for things such as an appliance or electronics, we head to the library to check out Consumer Reports magazine. This helps us make wise choices so we can save money.

We need to encourage students to use the libraries at a young age. Some of my high school students have never been to a library outside of their school environment. A field trip for younger children along with their parents may be educational for both. At that time, everyone can even get a library card if they bring the right documents.

It can be scary going to a new place so by being there for the children and their parents, it doesn’t feel so scary.

Do you use the library with your students? How do you encourage them to use the public library in their community? Please share.

Photo by Shunya Koide on Unsplash

No comments: