Tuesday, November 24, 2020

Small Steps Matter


In The ocean is made of drops from Seth Godin's Blog. Seth Godin shares,

“Even a puddle has more drops than we can count.”

I would show my students a drop of water and ask them if that is considered an ocean, or a lake, or a puddle. Of course, it isn’t. But if I collect many drops of water, it could add up to a larger volume of water and can keep growing bigger and bigger.

It is important to look at the big picture when I want to look at my goals. This helps me see where I want to go. Whenever I embark on a journey, I need to know my destination. Yet my journey is made up of the little steps. Each little step brings me closer and closer to my final destination. Without these little steps, I would never reach where I want to go.

Every major goal is made up of smaller achievable goals. Each smaller goal is necessary to reach a major goal. I need to make sure that each smaller goal is achievable before going on to the next step.

Sometimes in determining these smaller goals, I need to ask for help. There may be others with more experience or knowledge that can help me determine what smaller goals I need to accomplish. It is alright to ask for advice and help. This doesn’t mean that I’m weak or helpless, but it means that I want to follow the best course possible in order to achieve my goal.

I need to teach my students to have a long-term goal or a major goal that they can work for. Yet, in order to not overwhelm or frustrate them, I need to help them define the little steps in order to get there. I want to make sure that each step is achievable and can be done in a reasonable amount of time. If something takes too long, the step may be too big and need to be broken up even smaller. I need to be able to help them find others who might help them determine the smaller steps needed to achieve their major goal.

What major goal do you want to achieve? What smaller steps have you determined are necessary? Please share.

Photo by Omar Gattis on Unsplash

No comments: